Rewriting our childhood

Following Hannah Hinchman's advice, I have begun to re-remember my childhood, recording my memories of the fields, streams, woods, and prairie land that surrounded my childhood home in rural southern Wisconsin. In between my nature memories from my Midwestern childhood, I am adding descriptions and reflections from my walks through the woods, fields, and marshes of the suburban New England town that is now my home.

I invite you to share your memories of nature from your childhood or your responses to nature as an adult in the comments.

Katy Z. Allen
January 21, 2012

Note: Unless otherwise credited, photos were taken by me.

Sunday, February 5, 2012

A Home Among the Grass

I had some very little people, wooden, I believe, intricately painted in bright colors. They were not much more than an inch tall - men, women, and children; families in my mind. 


One summer day, I created for these little people the most resplendent of homes, with rooms for everyone and every use. Sitting in the grass of the front yard, I carefully pulled out all the dead, dried grass from between the blades of green, growing grass, leaving behind areas of clear soil, free of growth: rooms! Narrow bands of grass-free soil made for hallways between larger rooms. Some openings were small - bedrooms, perhaps. Others were larger and could be a living room, or library, or perhaps a ballroom! My little people had never before had such luxuriant living conditions. Rich green wallpaper, deep brown carpets, and ceilings of sky blue turquoise. Ample sky lights in every room let the sunlight stream in, with quieter, dusky areas along the sides for those seeking a respite from the light and heat. 


My little people thrived in their new home, their spirits nourished by the sights and sounds and smells that wafted into their summer abode. Only, with the dark, their proprietress insisted on bringing them into the big house for safekeeping through the chill and the dark of the night. They didn't seem to mind in the least.

2 comments:

  1. Re your little people in the grass and your learning about much, including exploring different perspectives, reminds me of my walks to and from Puget Sound - just one long block from my house for my 4th grade school year. There was a big puddle and there were ants. I marveled at how truly large the puddle must seem to the ants, while to me it wasn't much of anything. All of a sudden I was less likely to splash in the puddle because somehow I had discerned that it was part of their environment as well as mine and maybe, my 4th grade mind reasoned, they would enjoy swimming in the puddle as much as I was getting ready to enjoy swimming in Puget Sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how interesting! How our perspective changes when we see things through a different lens! Thank you for your comment about ants. Katy

    ReplyDelete